History1953: Lord Glenconner (Honorable Colin Tennant) made his first visit to the island.
1958: Colin Tennant purchased the 1,400 acre island for the sum of $67,500.
1960: Princess Margaret was given a 10 acre plot of land as a wedding gift on which she built a magnificent residence, 'Les Jolies Eaux.' This lovely signature villa still exists today.
1968: The Mustique Company was formed and the Government of St. Vincent & The Grenadines passed into law The Mustique Company Limited Act which in 1969 appointed The Mustique Company as custodian of the island.
1969: The airport opened and the Cotton House became an inn. Construction began on the first villas by the British theatrical designer, Oliver Messel.
1976: The Mustique Company was sold to a consortium of investors, led by Hans Neumann, who subsequently acquired the whole island.
1979: The Honorable Brian Alexander became the Managing Director.
1986: Jeannette Cadet joins the company as Villa Rentals Manager.
1988: Hans Neumann sold 75% of the Company to the island's other 55 homeowners.
1989: The Mustique Company was authorised by the Government of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines to operate Mustique as a private island.
2008: Roger Pritchard is named Managing Director and Mustique Company celebrates its 40th Anniversary.
2010: Unveilling of memorial statue of Lord Glenconner
Today, the island consists of 100 villas, 72 of which are in the rental programme. 17 countries are represented in ownership and approximately 1,300 persons inhabit the island during the peak season period.